Child Care Field Offices
19421 SE Stark St
Portland, Oregon 97233
815 S Oakdale Avenue
Medford, Oregon 97501
Making a Request
Requests for public records in the custody of the Early Learning Division must be submitted in writing. Pursuant to the provisions of ORS 192.440(3), the Early Learning Division may charge a fee reasonably calculated to reimburse the agency for actual costs of providing public records. The costs associated may include locating, photocopying, reviewing, redacting and mailing the documents. ELD must act in accordance with ORS 192.435 and ORS 192.437 for requests involving home-based providers.
By Web Form
By Regular Mail
Early Learning Division, Office of Child Care
attn: Kristy Mitchell
875 Union St
Salem, OR 97311
We may request additional clarification before responding to the request.
Calculation of fees
The department has established fees reasonably calculated to reimburse it for the actual cost of making the public records available. If the cost estimate is more than $25, the department will send the requestor a written cost estimate before proceeding with the request. If the cost estimate is more than $250, the department will work with the requestor to refine the scope of their request or otherwise reduce out-of-pocket costs.
The following is a list of charges that are standard throughout the department:
The department waives fees for a minimum of 30 minutes of staff time required to locate, produce, redact, or otherwise provide records. The hourly rate charged for additional staff time is based on the level of skill or expertise required to complete the work performed.
- Clerical: $25 per hour (administrative, office specialists, other support staff)
- Managerial: $40 per hour (program managers, public information officers)
- Professional: $75 per hour (information technology, human resources, high-level analyst)
- DOJ, special attorney and other applicable legal fees: At the actual hourly rate charged for public records request-related services. Fees are subject to statutory limitations described in ORS 192.440(4)(b).
Production of responsive records
- Copies: Based on current State of Oregon printing and distribution price list.
- Copies of existing mailing lists with labels: $5 per 100 names, with no additional charge for staff time.
- Media (CD, DVD, flash drive): Based on statewide price agreement with Office Max
- Certified document: $10 (includes staff time).
- Postage: Based on current postage rates
The department will evaluate requests to reduce or waive fees on a case-by-case basis. The department will take into consideration the cost of producing the information and whether making the records available primarily benefits the general public. All requests for a public interest fee waiver or reduction will be evaluated using information provided by the requestor as well as information independently available to the department.
A person who believes that there has been an unreasonable denial of a fee waiver or fee reduction may petition the Attorney General or the district attorney in the same manner as a person petitions when inspection of a public record is denied under ORS 192.410 to 192.505.